Thursday, June 7, 2007

Welcome to "Little Lima"

For those that are curious, here's an overview of the area in Buenos Aires that I live in. Notice that I just ended the previous sentence with a preposition; I notice a lot of dorky language things like that nowadays, whilst studying another language. Spanish has the same no-ending-a-sentence-with-a-preposition rule, but they actually pay attention to it... unlike English. Anyway, I digress.

This barrio (which translates into "neighborhood" but the idea is more like the burroughs of NYC, like Brooklyn, Queens, Manhatten, etc) is actually called 'Abasto' but it's on the border of 'Once' and 'Almagro' barrios as well. The locals nicknamed the area "Little Lima" (and use the English words instead of translating it into Spanish). It's chock-full-o Peruvians, both legal and illegal. Mostly illegal. And quite a few Bolivians as well.

On top of all that, there's a huge Jewish textile industry that's been around for nearly a century. It's about half a mile away, so there's also a lot of Orthodox and Hassidic Jews plus the associated synagogues around here. And, keeping with the religious theme, there are TWO faith healer churches nearby. You'd think one would be plenty but not around here. When I get some time I'll take some pictures of them and add them to this blog.

The larger of the two churches has a "magical" tarp (or giant cloak or banner or I don't know what it is). But at the end of the ceremony they pass it around/over the crowd to heal the injured, wounded, sick, and what not. If you aren't healed, OBVIOUSLY you didn't have enough faith... that tarp is a sure fire cure! Btw, I know all of this NOT because I attended a service, but because it's on late night tv CONSTANTLY. But it's good for learning Spanish. And it's free.

The smaller of the faith healer churches seems to be more of a setup like that church in the old Eddie Murphy movie "Coming to America". Except they all speak the Argentine variety of Spanish and the people look pretty much European and Lat-Am. But it's got more of that down-home, loud gospel music flavor to it (from what I've heard out on the front sidewalk). It's possible that their doctrine is wanting but I have no time to give it my expert analysis. I'm an extremely busy International Man of LeisureTM.

OK, that's enough typing this time around. I'm headed to Uruaguay tomorrow or Saturday June 9 and meant to do some research on the boats that go over there from BA. Alas, I got caught up reviewing this idiosyncratic neighborhood. Thanks for reading and 'chau' for now, until the next entry!

No comments: