Tuesday, October 9, 2007

El Che

EVENTUALLY I'm going post those other pictures from my recent trip. Alas, at the moment I am too caught up in all the Ernesto "Che" Guevara excitement here in Argentina.

"El Che" was shot & killed exactly 40 years ago in a Bolivian jungle by the police/government (which the newspapers and magazines ALWAYS stress were manipulated by the USA, CIA, etc... to help refocus "the blame" I suppose, actually it's kinda funny). He was born here in Argentina, for anyone unaware of it. That's probably why he's replacing Evita Peron and Diego Maradona as the face of Argentina... so to speak.

For such a dead commie, it's quite ironic that T-shirts with his face on them are the biggest seller in Argentina... probably in all of South America for that matter. Soooooo capitalistic! The marketing of Che is everywhere down here in S.A. If I were a betting man, I would bet that only about 5% of Che t-shirt wearing public knows anything about him that wasn't in the "Motorcycle Diaries" movie. Anyway, Happy Che-is-dead Day to you from all of us down here in Argentina on October 9, 2007!

Spring is here in the southern hemisphere and the weather is really nice. Well, except for today since it's rained all day and will likely rain all week. Now please excuse me since I need to log off this computer and go buy my Che Guevara t-shirt now...

No comments: