Friday, July 13, 2007

Snow in Buenos Aires!!!


I took a few pictures of the first snow day here in Buenos Aires in 89 years and figured that I would post some here. The last time that it snowed in BsAs was on June 22, 1918. "Global warming" wasn't in fashion back then so I don't know what they blamed it on... probably just "winter". Obviously nothing stuck to the streets/sidewalks because the temps were in the 70s earlier in the week. That's my apt bldg behind me in this photo. What a weird weather place this is... kinda like Dallas. But more humid. With less annoying Texans. And more motochorros. I'll have to explain "motochorros" in another entry some day. Basically they're just thieves on motorcycles, but a lot of times they don't think things through very well and things end up badly. VERY badly.


But here's a picture of a bar/restaurant/cafe/AND gymnasium a block away from my apartment, I like the snow-on-the-palm- trees-effect. And talk about being all things to all people! It's sort of funny watching them go play (indoor) soccer or work out, followed by a healthy Quilmes... which is the local beer. Which also happens to be the company that distributes Pepsi in Buenos Aires. Which happens to be a company that is reducing their workforce, which OBVIOUSLY led to a strike by the truck drivers... forcing a rationing of all Quilmes, Pepsi, and Coke products in town. Which subsequently caused ME to stockpile bottles of Pepsi until this strike is over. Hmmm, I've gone "off point" again...

OK, here's a shot of Av. Corrientes -- one of the main drags in town. Further towards downtown it turns into the Buenos Aires version of Broadway. Lots of restaurants, theaters, and so on. All lit up nice-n-bright... except for right now, with the energy crisis and all, it's time to turn off the lights and conserve! Actually, now that I think about it, they're not conserving anything down there... it's lit up like the 4th of July everytime I go down there. So who knows?

This final picture is proof positive that the snow actually stuck to SOMETHING. Cars and open areas (like the grass in the parks and plazas) tended to be where the snow accumulated. As interesting as it was to see it snow in Buenos Aires, I think I was more amused by the reaction of the locals frolicking in one centimeter of snow. Although the kids actually figured out how to make some (very small) snow men out of it. OK, that's enough snow talk for today. It was fascinating to witness some Buenos Aires history (and trust me, a lot of the history around here you wouldn't want to be present to witness!) but I've got a crisis energética to get back to...

No comments: