Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The good, the bad, & the ugly

I´ve now completed two days of attendance in the classes at COINED. It´s a new building compared to where I was last time... it´s bigger and "fancier". But the common meeting area is not nearly as spacious, so at break/lunch time, it´s basically just a room packed wall-to-wall with people. The funny thing is, that except for the cleaning lady, there is not ONE person left (on staff and what not) that I remember from the school from 3 years ago! Weird, but maybe that´s how it works around here.

I´m in the intermediate-advanced class (the 5th level out of 7). There are 4 of us in the class plus the professor. It´s all chicas aged 17 - 27 (that´s the GOOD) from Brazil, Holland, and the US. We also get dragged down into talking about fashion, cosmetics, and a bunch of basura that I couldn´t care less about (that´s the BAD). Alas in the past few years, the school has moved classes up an hour earlier (that´s the UGLY) -- they now start at 9 instead of 10a! Què pena! The subway is EXTREMELY packed at that hour. Much like the buses. But almost 14 million people live in this town so what are you gonna do?

In other news, it´s MASSIVELY cold in Buenos Aires. Especially yesterday when a cold front blew through. Plus the "hot" water in my shower is TEPID at best... need to talk to my land lady about that. Or the portero (doorman), "Artemio". Rumor has it that he´s the man with all the solutions. Good news for the American TV addicts around here is that this past TV season that just ended in the USA is starting it´s run down here. So far, they´re kicking off with Grey´s Anatomy, My Name is Earl, The Office, and I don´t know what all else. It´s all in English and subtitled in castellano.

No comments: